Helena’s 7 Gardening Tips
Helena’s garden is nestled in the foothills of Grass Valley- Northern CA. Elevation 2600 feet. Her generous spirit is reflected in her 400sq ft garden. She effortlessly plants enough for her family & neighbors. Her tips for gardening success are..
- Pet ducks! They are friendly, munch on slugs and keep the golden retriever entertained.
- Grow invasive herbs in containers. Keep near kitchen for easy access. Examples are mint, oregano, sage & thyme. If not contained, they take over gardens.
- Borage is one of her favorite plants. Great for attracting bees. Young leaves can be used in salads. Blue blossoms are great for garnishing.
- Want huge tomatoes? Get out your boom box and play music to them.
- Try a concoction of chicken manure & water and let sit for 3 weeks. Then it is poured onto the plants…magic happens. 1-2 inches of manure per 5 gallons of water. (1 cup around base of plant)
- Cabbage leaves are great for wrapping and stuffing!
- Grow extra seedlings and give them away! People love these gifts & so much appreciate the time you have spent nurturing the plant.
We would love to hear your comments & feedback!