- juice from 1 large pomegranate or ¼ cup POM Wonderful 100% pomegranate juice
- 2-3 large pomegranates
- 3-4 tsp chopped jalapeno pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped yellow bell pepper
- 4 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
1. Score 2-3 fresh pomegranates and place in a bowl of water. Break open the pomegranates under water to free the arils (seed sacs). The arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the membrane will float to the top. Sieve and put the arils in a separate bowl. Reserve 2 cups of the arils from fruit and set aside. (Refrigerate or freeze remaining arils for another use.)
2. Prepare fresh pomegranate juice* if making from scratch.
3. Thoroughly mix to combine all ingredients. Serve with tortilla chips. Salsa will keep covered, in the refrigerator, for 2 to 3 days.
*For 1 cup of juice, cut 2-3 large pomegranates in half and juice them with a citrus reamer or juicer. Pour the mixture through a cheesecloth-lined strainer or sieve. Set the juice aside.
Makes 9 servings.
How to open your pomegranate:
1. Cut off the crown, then score the outer layer of skin into sections.
2. In a large bowl of water (I prefer to do it in the sink), break apart the sections along the score lines. Roll out the arils (seeds with surrounding juice sacs) with your fingers. Arils will sink, while the white membrane will float to the top.
3. Strain out water. Arils are ready to eat, seeds and all!